Emerson's Sketchbook

Decided to finally open a sketchbook. Going for a highly optimized and performant result for third person action games. Don’t know what else needs to be said other than I love working on VFX and am pretty convinced its where I want to be. Cheers!

Current Project Shot

7 Likes

Waterfall Project
https://youtu.be/3wyo_EryXGQ

Previous Attempts For This Project

Learning Materials for Current Project
Tyler Smith’s Tutorial
Jeremy Griffith Gnomon Tutorial Result

2 Likes

Worked through a tutorial this week. Learned a bit about blueprints, some photoshop skills I didn’t use much previously, going to be working up the cast and impact effects for this next I think to really solidify the knowledge. @JangaFX did a nice job with this. Thanks Nick!

2 Likes

Another couple of weeks, another tutorial down. Feeling like I am slowly but surely getting the concepts here.

Another few weeks, another tutorial down. I am finally feeling comfortable enough to tackle effects without a direct tutorial to draw on. I think my first effect is going to either be a frost nova or frozen orb from Diablo 2 done in an updated style for UE4.

Worked up a spotlight effect for a project. Turns on/off based on user input (not shown). I will not be taking this particular direction farther though due to project needs. Thought I would share it here anyways.

4 Likes

Not really sketch book’ish. This is an effect I created for Black Ice Studios for the game Revenants (revenantsgame.com). I am working on other effects as VFX Artist for them, but as this one is complete and I got the go ahead I am sharing. :smiley:

2 Likes

A little bit of smoke/sim work from EmberGen that I was getting read to take into Unreal. This is from about a month ago. Was trying to solve out the 6 point lighting prior to the master material’s release. Wasn’t going so hot, but I have since improved it and anticipate it reaching a good final result after JangaFX’s material release later today.

1 Like

Nothing fancy this week. Just trying to grasp some more things about Niagara with the magic circle which needs completion and then helping a friend out with an smoke effect that needs a lot of work still. Will start placing finished pieces more moving forwards.