Dominikus Reiter: Sketch #53

Current Thumbnail:

DR_BB_05

Final Version:

Original entry:

DR_H2O_Proof

Tested my idea of water gathering and jumping up, freezing and coming down to burst into shards. Loopable. This pass is geometry only - planning to add material transitions and particle fx.

27 Likes

Made a particle pass on it and tweaked the animations a bit.
Still got to look into ice and water material and some particle tweaks. ā†’ Done
maybe I also get to improve the presentation scene, or borrow a nicer one ^^. ā†’ Done

10 Likes

Just some minor tweaks to call it final:
Wasnā€™t happy with the ice dust shapes being so dominant, so rerendered the flipbook from a different angle and some smoother settings.
Also tweaked the impact particles a bit and added a distortion wave and a subtle screen aligned wave.
Removed a sequencer loop artifact from the ice ball mesh not properly scaling down in the end.

EDIT:
Tweaked the lighting, added translucent materials for water and ice, tweaked animation and particles.

10 Likes

Here is a little overview of how this is put together:

2 Likes

Hi Dominikus, I love your effect!! Do you mind if I ask how you did water gathering from floor ā†’ water droplet ā†’ turn to ice? Iā€™m working on my personal project, and need exactly something like that. However, Iā€™m very new to houdini, and it was hard to find tutorials for it.

Hi Seongmin!

Here is what helped me to create the fracture:

I pushed those parts away with a force and used the shards resting on the ground as mesh input for the vellum solver. I found these helpful for that process:

After the vellum spawns from the merged pieces, I let it expand with only gravity working on it and then suck it to the center with a force, where it gathers in a ball-like shape. This sequence I export as alembic ~35MB size.

In Unreal I let this play in sequencer and scale it down after having gathered while scaling up a water sphere that pushes to the top, having a simple shader working on the squash and stretch vertex offsets.

At the top I scale that water sphere down while scaling up the ice sphere with a little 100Ā° rotational twist and additional ice dust flash.

Hope that helped a bit, good luck with your personal project!