BERNARDET Thomas : Sketch #58

::Thumbnail place::
FinalThumbnail

FINAL ENTRY :

RENDER

BREAKDOWN

Hey every one ! Its my first challenge here, i wanna make a kind of Neon zap inspired by the 80’s colors and style. :grin:

For now i animated the zaps in 2D and imported the flipbooks in unity.
I’m working on the Impact first and then I’ll work on the Build Up, to finish on the dissipation.

The Gifs of my animations :
ltng2_flipbook
impact_flipbook
LIL_ltng1_flipbook
LIL_ltng2_flipbook
ltng1_flipbook

And here is my first integration in unity :

WIP_Neon_01

UPDATE :
I worked on the impact, added a little more spice with first damage AOE range an some bloom,cracks, burnt ground…etc. I’ll complexify the impact and the aftermath today i think.

WIP_Neon_02

13 Likes

How do you do the indicator thing?

If ya talking about the indicator before the spell, I animated the movement with the animator in unity !

2 Likes

UPDATE :
Hey ! I worked on my anticipation, the neon crystal will be “full filled” after the lightning strike. I also improved the impact with some elements.

WIP_Neon_04

5 Likes

UPDATE :
A little more work on the post impact phase and the big aoe which give a shield to allies.

WIP_Neon_06

5 Likes

can i ask. how did you make the lightning feel so loose? even in the animations they look good but the extra range in the vfx itself makes it feel different :star_struck:

Haha thank you ! To be honest I don’t have any tips about making the lightning feel loose, I’m just animating straight forward until I get something that feels nice to me in therms of rythm :wink:

1 Like

sorry, i didnt mean the animation itself. I meant did u use any (billboard) stretching or UV meshes to grow the lightning a certain way?

1 Like

Oh my bad, I just use simple flipbooks with different scales/spawn timings and I keep tweaking the values until I get something that I like !

1 Like

Hey ! I uploaded my final submission in the first post, here is the breakdown video link ! I hope you enjoy my FX, that was really fun to do !

BREAKDOWN : NEON LIGHTNING STRIKE - Breakdown - YouTube

2 Likes

Haha ahh I’m a UE user so I wouldn’t know what that is