Arklan - LOGBOOK

LOG 10 : Dark Star Beam - FINAL (UE4)

I am more than happy to call this work done ! I I added the hit effect, modify the ground texture and also added some distortion to create a more impactful / anomaly effect. I learned a lot during the process, I thought when I started it won’t be very difficult but it gave me some great challenges.

FULL

dark star beam - all

HIT

dark star beam - hit

I also created some sounds ! Here is the HD version + audio.

Thanks to the incredible VFX community who helped me and gave me some great tips and advice ! Happy new year !

6 Likes

Looks really cool! The only detail which distracts me a little bit is that the beam seems to ignore the monster.

Well it’s a simple cross mesh with a texture on it so that’s probably why it does not cover the monster that well. Now that you pointed it, I can not unseen it D:

1 Like

It brings me genuine joy whenever you post an update on here or Twitter. keep it up, man!

1 Like

That’s sweet, it really means a lot ! Thank you !

LOG 11 : The Eternal King - Boss Intro (UE4)

I have not posted any progress of my training on this specific VFX so here is a little update ! I wanted to learn more about ambient and cinematic VFX (how to trigger emitters during a cinematic, adapt specific effects for camera shots etc…) and I ended up creating this little boss intro. I did not encounter too much difficulty in the process except on the flipbooks, it was my first time so I had to redraw them many times before ended up with a good result.

I’ve made a breakdown on my artstation if you are interested to see some close up and techniques used.

AMBIENT VFX

snow ambient gif

TORNADO CLOSE UP

tornado 1 gif

tornado 2 gif

3 Likes

LOG 12 : Cursed Blade Combo (UE4)

This one was very enjoyable to make ! I wanted to study sword attacks, so I needed to create slash effects (without using trails). It was my first time doing it and I’m very happy with the result !

I started with very basic drawing for the textures just to see if it was the good direction. It definitely helped me a lot especially for the style / size of the texture. I realized I really love mixing soft and hard shapes.

I added some camera works to help following the movement and to gives a lot more style (also sounds as well). The video is too long for a gif so here is the youtube version.

Again, I have made a breakdown on my artstation !

SLASH BREAKDOWN

slash breakdown gif

HIT

hit gif

WIP VERSION

wip gif

1 Like