Anna: Sketch #41

~Thumbnail gif~
41_Lighting_v4

Final entry:

ORIGINAL POST

There’s no much time left, but I’ll try to do a simple, light effect to learn three things:

• How to make a lighting effect (first time of this type)
  • How to paint a flipbook
  • How to use pivot paint in meshes to animate.

The idea is that a box will channel electricity, not as a hit, but as a source of power.

References:

11 Likes

First blocking of the idea.
41_Lighting_v1

Texture from lighting is done in substance painter.

2 Likes

Very nice, keep it up :+1: :+1:

1 Like

The main focus was to get the box working with the animation of pivot painter. I used the content examples from unreal (4.26) to see how it’s done.

The box is fractured in houdini, and the pivots are calculated to point out, as a sphere.

I’m controlling the distance of the parts of the box with a dynamic parameter. I’ve also started to create the final particle system. I’ve change the way the lighting renders. Previously it was a ribbon, now its a static mesh with the same texture.

41_Lighting_v2

3 Likes

I wanted to add a little of extra movement to the parts of the box when it’s getting charged. I used pivot painter tool too with a little extra code in the shader to rotate the parts.
This was the testing material with a sine function.
MovingParts_1 MovingParts_2

41_Lighting_v3

The next step will be to create the flipbooks for the lighting.

8 Likes

so cool and stylized :star_struck:

1 Like

Very cool process gifs & final outcome :smiley: ! These behind the scenes stuff always amazes me haha

Final entry:
The quality of the video could be better but the laptop couldn’t do any more, recording + unreal is a lot of effort :rofl:

The effect have some things that could be improved. I may do it in the future as well as recording in a more powerful computer.

4 Likes

This is very cool, so neat and smooth animation, i like it.