AMaz: Sketch #43

Hello everyone,
Here’s my final output for the challenge. Not quite there but this as far as my experience got me.
Hope you like it & happy to get your thoughts on what do you think I should work on learning next.

Original Post___________________________________________
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here & I’m starting with a challenge :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
I’m still a newbie to the RTVFX both the forum & the vfx game art in general.
Entered this challenge as a way to learn & create something that can be added to the portfolio.

Here are my references:
https://polycount.com/discussion/193376/riot-creative-contest-2017-silveryuan#latest

https://polycount.com/discussion/193376/riot-creative-contest-2017-silveryuan#latest
https://www.deviantart.com/denorelli/art/300-Days-Of-Animation-87-562067468

Being a beginner here I don’t know if I’m in way over my head here or not, but I’m willing to try :muscle:.
Any help will be much appreciated.

10 Likes

“Being a beginner”
shows amazing stuff

Im impressed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those are pretty solid references ! Don’t hesitate to look at them frame by frame to understand how the movement and rhythm works in them o/

1 Like

So here is the 1st WIP after two weeks & with a couple of days to the deadline… I still hope I could make it.

HD Video Here

After this, a gound mark appears & the portals above the target keep firing similar stars on the target.

Finishing off with a big star directly above the target with a big explosion hit.
I’ve learned a lot & hope this is acceptable as my 1st effect.

Shout out to @Luos_83 for his noise textures & for @Lush for the environment Background.
Also, Thanks to @cghow & @GabrielAguiar for the extensive free tutorials … you made my life so much easier.

Finally, I’ll keep pushing on this to make it before the end of the month. But even if I didn’t make it, I’ll polish it into a portfolio piece.
As always, feedback is much appreciated :smile:

4 Likes

Hello everyone,
Here’s my final output for the challenge. Not quite there but this as far as my experience got me.
Hope you like it & happy to get your thoughts on what do you think I should work on learning next.

5 Likes

next time, you can try to speed up the dynamics twice or so. And more multi-colored gradients)
The effect is cool, just like you)

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback.
I’ll be polishing it a lot & working on it here in the forum … so keep tuned :wink:

As I’m still learning I tried to push what I know as far as I could … as the challenge time passed I’m taking a step back to find out more about how to best approach the problems I faced in making this.

It took me a lot more than expected to get back to this & give it a bit more love
So here’s the latest update of it

Would love to hear your thoughts on it so far
StarpowerTest

3 Likes

Wow, the updates are amazing! The rate of fire is definitely a step up and also more closely similar to your reference. Overall the ability feels more snappy and powerful

1 Like