1st VFX Jam - Elements

Welcome to the first ever Official FX Jam.

This will be a slightly faster and looser version of our usual sketches.

Rules:
A new topic will be posted every day
You have 24h from the topic anouncement to post your work, you can see the hours passed on the top right of the topic anouncement.
You don’t have to join every day. you can pick and choose which ones you like or can make.

Submitting :

• Create a new topic in the " Events > 1st - VFX Jam - Elements " category with your name and sketch number in the title (Like this: “nick honshuu: 1st VFX Jam” ).
  • Make a new post and add a title with the day and topic (Like this: Monday: Skyfall) and post your results for that day inside.

Important:

• Always cite your sources! Is your work based on someone else’s? Let us know! Always show your references.
  • All entries must be made on the day itself.
  • Do feel free to use any tool, system or workflow that pre-existed. Although we encourage experimentation.
  • Please present your effects on a plain background. There is not much time, so don’t use it to make complicated backgrounds.

Good luck, have fun!
:fire:

8 Likes

Omg that’s awesome ! There’s nothing better then jaAming)

1 Like

Pretty neat! Jams are really fun :smiley:
Just to confirm, what time zone are the “day” in? because i saw the post of today posted 2 hours ago and here its 7pm xDDD

Yes I’m also a little confused. The post says “Monday”, but it’s still Sunday where I am :slight_smile:

It’s Tokyo time zone, cause that’s where I’m from :smiley:

Might help to put up a little region agnostic timer for it, since we’ve got members from all over the globe?

1 Like

looking into it, not sure how to do something like that.

1 Like

Well, you COULD just use the post itself as a timer since it says how many hours ago it was posted. But yeah, something proper might be nice and helpful.

1 Like

I’ll do that for now, I’m looking into doing timers, ever if I can’t get it to work in time, we can use it for the next jam

2 Likes

These have been some cool ideas for VFX sketches, I just don’t think I have time to try the 1-day thing. It would be a shame to use up all these good themes when maybe a lot of people are in the same boat as me. Hopefully we see these come back as monthly challenge topics? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Totally agree with Nick! I’ve definitely been struggling to find a moment in my day to get some work done on these though they are really nice themes. Maybe leaving these topics open for people to submit work when they get a bit more time? I understand its suppose to promote speed over a polished effect but it could also be super cool to see a blog of everyone’s different styles and how/if things or workflows might change over time too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just throwing it out there, maybe it could be one effect per week rather than one per day. It’s just difficult to do an effect in one day on a regular workday, and I’ll admit the time difference really threw me off at the beginning. It seemed like by the time I realized it, I was already behind. Just my two cents.

3 Likes

Perhaps I was slightly overestimating the amount of people that would enjoy a challenge like this.

I’m currently working on an idea to make these topics not go entirely to waste, I will anounce the specifics later, but it is based on the feedback and ideas you guys gave!

For now, If you are looking for a new challenge you can check out this months challenge which has been chosen by the community here

Thank you for your generous feedback!

I was thinking about it.

Perhaps if we do this again we can minimize the amount of work people have to do by supplying them everything. From the shaders to the props and even maybe a skeletal script/blueprint system to slot everything in so they can just focus on a part of the process. Might help, might not.

I also agree that one a day might just be too much after a work day.

Good job on trying to do something new though, I’m sure we can transform this into another experiment and eventually get something that will allow people to participate and have fun :smiley: I’ll keep thinking and if an idea pops up, I’ll let you guys know.

1 Like