Unity VFX Tutorials - Basic

Hello everyone! I have recently started a series of VFX Tutorials for Unity, and I thought I’d share them. There isn’t many episodes yet, but I’ll make more as soon as I have some time. :slight_smile:

Here’s the first four episodes, covering some basics: Unity VFX Tutorials

Of course, if you have some feedback or ideas or things you’d want me to cover (beginner level), feel free to ask. :smiley:

~Feedback is Progress~

27 Likes

hell yeah! :slight_smile: I will check them out asap!

Cool vids ! :smiley:

Just a question what is the “Particle Effect” window you have in the first video ?

Thanks! If you select a particle system, you’ll see a button “Open Editor” in the component window. Click on it and it’ll open the editor. :slight_smile:
If you have a hierarchy of multiple particle systems having the same parent, it’ll show all of them in there. Very useful. :slight_smile:

when I was starting with vfx, I really did not get how subUV’s/flipbooks are working at all and especially how they are working on a mesh. Imo thats the “technical part” which scares a lot of ppl to get deeper into game vfx. Plus how many frames you should use for a mobile game etc.

I have yet to develop on mobile games, so I’m not too sure. But I believe less is better, as long as you can keep a decently fluid animation. :slight_smile:

I’ll try to cover that in a future tutorial, but I’m quite a bit busy atm. Hopefully soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Sirhaian!

Thank you so very much for your tutorials. I just used the Hit Effect one last night and the Projectile one a few days before. Your script was especially helpful for hitting space to make the effect play again in the game window. I remember sitting there for awhile trying to figure out why it would only play the first time I hit the space button until I finally turned looping off on everything and face desked ahaha.

Your Jinx and most recent Annie VFX are really awesome! I can’t wait to see what other stuff you make and thanks for joining the community~

Ian

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Really glad those are helpful. :slight_smile:
I don’t know when I’ll have time to make the next one (currently moving from europe to canada, so quite busy), but as soon as I can, I’ll make a few breakdowns too. :smiley:

And thanks! Currently working on the infamous Demon Teemo community project… :^]

1 Like

@Sirhaian Thank you, is your tutorial let I met you

Here’s another tutorial-playlist for Unity. If you want, you can add it to your first post so people don’t have to read the whole thread to find the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctmqr_8esT0&index=1&list=PLpPd_BKEUoYh40LeJXTgA6E53gCMPq3MX

3 Likes

Heya!

Here’s my newest tutorial. Still very simple. Took much longer than I anticipated, tho. :smile:

Hope it’s useful!

1 Like

I made a couple new tutorials, for those interested!

Very simple tutorial on how to use sub-emitters (to make fireworks).

And a tutorial showing how to use vertex offset and panning textures in Shaderforge to create an aurora.

For the last one, here’s an example of what can be done after some tweaking and composition:

7 Likes

As it turns out, I was just watching your stuff the other day. I really like the Portal you made, but in watching it I still don’t fully understand what is on the planes to create the tunnel effect. I understand the backface and UV tricks, but that is about it, even after a re-watch. How are you linking the cameras to the tunnel effect?

Furthermore alot of your effects have a very neon like quality to them. Is this an effect you are trying to go for when you make effects or simply a result of rendering in Unity?

Glad you liked it! :smiley:

If I remember correctly, I had two cameras: one on depth -1 and one on depth 0. The 0 would render everything that would be “above” the tunnel, and the -1 would render the tunnel itself. That way, it’d appear as if the tunnel was above the rest, and most importantly, the ground. :slight_smile:
The way that works is simply by attributing Layers to the particle systems, then setting the culling mask accordingly on each camera.

As for the neon style, that’s a style I’m going for. I could remove all glows and post process, but… well I just kinda like it. :sweat_smile:

Is there a name for this technique? In all my data gathering, the use of actual cameras for an effect ( as I am aware of shader based camera effects) is a new one. I… didn’t even know this was an option! :smiley:

Well as long as it’s not for an actual production work, I think it’s fine to use whatever tools you can find, even if they don’t even look like tools from a first look. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aaaand I’m not sure what this technique would be called, to be honest… :thinking: Camera sandwich? :sweat_smile:

On a more serious note, I’d say most likely camera compositing, layer compositing, layering,… Most likely one of those. :slight_smile:

Your tutorials are awesome, I learned a lot from them when I started my journey to VFX. My favorite is COSMIC REAVER Viktor skin. The radiant light effects (on ultimate) and patterns are really amazing.

Aww, thank you so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a new super basic VFX tutorial for Unity: how to make a stylized fire. :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, suggestions or feedback!

6 Likes

Hello (Sirhaian) Leroy Kevin,

My name is Kenan, I am a 14 year Veteran and currently working on my second degree while pushing to learn VFX on my own between classes. I am looking for ways to create as many VFX as I can so I will have things to post and show off on my website and on my ArtStation. As of now, I have things posted on my ArtStation that I have done and can do but not what I want to specialize in. Here is my ArtStation: My ArtStation

I’m not sure if you will read this since the post is a couple years old but I will send it in a PM to you and on your YouTube VFX Tutorial: Unity VFX Tutorials so others will know how helpful it is. :star_struck:

I have enjoyed how helpful the VFX world has been and how welcoming everyone has been as well as willing to teach one another. I have to say thank you for sharing your knowledge with VFX in Unity.

I am still new to the VFX world but I feel this has been my calling because I can’t stop thinking about what to do next and it is the only thing that has actually excited me more than playing video games. :rofl:

I have been watching your videos and they have really helped me understand the breakdown of what things do when it comes to creating an effect. What I like about it is that when watching your videos, you don’t just make it about what you are showing but how things can be changed or modified to make the effect more unique and our own.
I know you are busy with working but I would like to request that you make more videos and if you wouldn’t mind going over what has changed with the new updates in Unity and how those new things can be useful when creating. If someone is reading this and has already done this then please share the link to help out others willing to learn and grow.

One thing I would like to know is how to showcase the VFX for a demo reel and how to go about recording them for editing the videos to show off the work with a clean professional pass.

Thank you all very much and for taking the time to read this.

Respectfully Sent,
Kenan Vickstrom

2 Likes