Official VFX Sketch #20: One Circle Texture

Let’s create a MASTER SHADER :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

3 Likes

It would be interesting, I will totally participate in this one!

1 Like

I like how the circle texture is optional even thought its the topic :slight_smile:

I can recommend getting inspiration from ShaderToy for this challenge. Tons of cool math shaders there

I like the topic! Textures are overrated and sampling them is expensive anyway, good luck all!

1 Like

I already implemented the Superformula in my favorite engine, which basically means I got a lot of different math shapes. Isn’t that cheating? :thinking:
Here is video of a few shapes you can get with the formula

11 Likes

That should be fair game. We don’t allow pre-existing assets to be used but it gets hazy where extensive shader math lays in those terms.

It’s a learning platform meant to push our own limts, try new things, or just make cool things and share with others. A bunch of shader math creating custom shapes sounds pretty cool to me! Excited to see what else people come up with!

Yup, the size of the texture/circle doesn’t matter. At some point I imagine diminishing returns but it’s really up to you!

Sounds interesting. I’ve never been into any challange like this, only in Unreal Game Jams, so I think I’ll give this a shot.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s cheating. The data was one circle texture…the processing was whatever math.