UE4 Tutorials by tharlevfx

Today we cover some of the basics of UVs - what they are, why they’re called UVs and how and why we use them!

4 Likes

two videos this week because i forget to share last weeks :slight_smile:

more UVs and Grey in Metalness maps in PBR workflow!

4 Likes

Today we have a look at some different techniques to add depth to our materials - WPO, Displacement and POM.

3 Likes

This week we have a look at how we can recalculate our Normals in our Shader, for when we’re using WPO or displacement to alter the mesh shape.

1 Like

Today we have a look at a couple of Material Functions built in to Unreal that can help us debug our Materials.

Today we have a look at how we can use Vertex Painting to create Material Blending and how we can add detail with Noise and Heightmaps.

5 Likes

Thanks man! I’ve been watching your videos. Super informative! :slight_smile:

This is great stuff! Thank you so much for spending time on this!

Today we have a look at how we can sample the landscape layers and build up our own landscape material that uses Height map blending and layer order.

2 Likes

Apparently I missed posting about last weeks video on introduction to landscapes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Today we talk a bit about Lightmap UVs and how Unreal uses your existing Lightmap unwrap to generate these, and how we can adjust our texturing unwrap to try and ensure a good lightmap unwrap.

3 Likes

Today we have a look at how to set up automatic layers in our landscape materials to take into account things like height and facing angle.

2 Likes

Today we have a look at how to use Noise and Distance to break up the repetition of Tiling Materials.

1 Like

Today we have a look at how we can save overdraw once we’ve faded out our particles by collapsing the vertices.

1 Like

Is the video supposed to get darker during its runtime?

no… sadly i messed up a keyframe in after effects, there’s another video uploaded that doesnt now

unfortunately youtube doesn’t let you replace videos and i didnt want to remove the old one yet and break all the links.

2 Likes

Today we have a look at the Material usage flags and what they do, so we can optimise our materials by making sure we’re not using too many when we don’t need to.

2 Likes

Today we start a new series focusing on Niagara, starting the with basics of the UI and changes in the workflow from Cascade.

4 Likes

Today we have a look at how Particle Colour passes data from Niagara to the Material and make a basic Dust Particle effect.

2 Likes

Today we look at making a falling leaf effect in Niagara, based on a flipbook texture animation.

2 Likes