The RTVFX Podcast

Listening to @Lauren_Simpson right now, I’m having the best of times.

Happy New Years everyone!
The podcast continues…

We’ve launched a dedicated domain to house the episodes which you can find here:

The first episode of the year has been launched. It’s just a quick reminder from yours truly that you matter.

I was talking with my buddy @AnthonyDavisVFX that I was really unsure if I wanted to continue with this project because how much effort it took to run a podcast. Most people assume I am already a working VFX Artist and the truth is that I’m struggling to get my first gig just like many others & time spent producing each episode is time not improving my own portfolio.

But the truth is that any activity YOU decide to engage in sends small ripples that turn into gigantic waves over a period of time. It’s why we indulge in fast food and shrug off the health repercussions. It’s why we keep running everyday and slowly build our calf muscles.

Time spent on the podcast is time helping others. The listeners, the guests. It all comes full circle and I see everyday the gratitude everyone pours out for connecting. After all, I think we all just want to be heard & seen. It helps to know that YOU are not alone in this world.

There are so many talented artists I’ve already met with that I’m excited to share with you over the ensuing weeks and I’ll be reaching out to more, so definitely send suggestions to me if there’s a voice you feel needs to be heard.

On a personal note & related to the episode you’ll be hearing. 2020 was a huge financial hit and has caused a lot of stress in the job. I really wanted to quit but was reminded by many of my loved ones that it’s not responsible to be unemployed during a pandemic if you can help it. So just a word of caution-- if you are in a similar boat and are unhappy with your job, don’t quit. Instead, take that negative energy and channel it into improving your art and get to a place you want to be.

I love you all so much.

XOXO,
Travis

4 Likes

Hi Everyone,
Just letting you know a new episode has been published today for you featuring @simonschreibt.

Just some quick updates:

1. I have a TON of amazing interviews with artists around the world queued up, but all my episodes need to be edited! My primary editor has been battling with COVID, so a lot of the edits are on my shoulders. If you know anyone whose interested in making some side cash and can edit audio, please tell them to contact me.

2. This podcast has been a passion project, but its been brought to my attention that some listeners would like to contribute financially to support it. I’ve set up a basic Patreon for donations to funnel in for those that want a place. This is completely optional, and your money helps pay my editors, the hosting costs, and help fund other artists. You can find the link on the site here.

I haven’t really thought too hard on incentives or tiers… so if there’s something you’d like added, please let me know. What I don’t want: advertising in programming, paywalls to the main programming.

Until next week, rock on!

5 Likes

Thanks so much for having me!! <3 <3

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Episode 28 is live featuring Bryan Erck. This is a really great one since he’s a veteran and a bit of an unsung hero. If you know of anyone looking for a guest speaker to come talk about VFX, Bryan is your guy.

Apologies for the delay for getting the announcement out. Texas is going through a pretty ugly Winter Storm so many of us have been without power or water these past few days.

XOXO

5 Likes

Another great episode featuring @Trevnado.

Be sure to say hello.

7 Likes

Today’s episode features @letsmakefx - super great guy with a whole lot of love. Listen in:

Do you get sick of listening to my voice? I know I do when I spend my Saturday’s editing each episode! :smiley: In all seriousness, please share this podcast with other artists in your office to spread the word along with social media.

If you have someone you know that might be a great fit to be on the show, send him/her my way. Also, please connect with Bryan & comment on some of his amazing tutorials. He is such a wonderful educator.

5 Likes

Another great episode featuring @pamar

This guy is just really smart and such a hard worker. He hustles to get things done!

4 Likes

thanks again for the work! awesome guests!

2 Likes

Ep. 32 is live featuring An-Tim Nguyen.

6 Likes

Yet another episode of the podcast - Enjoy #33 with Mickaëlle Ruckert.

Definitely check out her GDC talk. There’s a lot to learn :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks Travis!
I just want to add, since this was recorded I started a new book I’d like to share. This one is incredibly compelling, it’s called “thinking, fast and slow” by Daniel Kahneman.
To sum it up very simply, this is an essay about the way our brain deals with decision making and rushed assumptions vs proper effortful thinking.
I really recommend it, it’s fascinating.

3 Likes

Amazing episode again! Was a pleasure to listen to all of them! <3

1 Like

Ep. 34 featuring @Keyserito is live!

Jason has been instrumental in my own VFX journey and I am very grateful to have met him. Definitely encourage you to connect with the guy and join on his livestreams.

6 Likes

It was so fun being on the show! Thanks for having me. If people have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask!

1 Like

Just finished listening to this episode and it was a great one, as always :clap:

When it comes to the diversity you talked about at the end, I’d love to hear from people that are the 1st or 2nd vfx artist in their company. I’m in this position right now, and looking for technical or organization solutions often feels like reinventing the wheel. There must be people out there that started the vfx departments in their mid-sized studio.

Looking forward to the future episodes. It’s always a blast to listen to the work-related and personal stories😄

1 Like

New episode live! Enjoy a message from Mr. David Shovlin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! Wow. It’s been a while since I posted.
New episodes are live. Please check them out.

What a blast it is talking with so many talented people. The roundtable discussion was a huge success and I’m so thankful for new and recurring guests willing to share their time, opinions and expertise on the world of VFX.

Overall feedback has found group episodes are much in demand so I’m concocting some awesome topics to share along with a host of smiling faces. Speaking of topics, this is a two-way street. What TOPICS do you want to hear about? What PEOPLE do you want to hear from? Please share in this thread or message me!

I’m seeing a trend with more and more film guru’s transition into the real-time space so let’s make sure to give them all a big hug and welcome pat on the back :slight_smile:

And be sure to check out some of the coursework our guests are sharing. So much great education available for the taking.

9 Likes

Happy New Years all!
Taking a moment to quickly update the podcast with new episodes that came out.

It’s always so rewarding to hear from experts in our industry because of the unique perspectives they bring to light. Thanks again to @Travis @Kashaar @AnthonyDavisVFX @pegasusgiraffe for giving their time.

You may have noticed we skipped 2 episodes. I had in the pipeline two others, and there were scheduling & technical issues so I plan on revisiting and filling in those gaps later.

On a personal note, for many who don’t know me-- I made a semi-stupid decision to get a job teaching high school English in America, thinking it would be an easy job for me to focus on my own art. This is NOT the reality of the teaching profession at all. So… I’ve had little to no time for anything else but the job of raising 15-year-olds and assuaging parents.

The podcast is taking a hiatus so I can dedicate ANY free time I have to building my portfolio and getting my own VFX job over summer break. If teaching has taught me anything, its how much I appreciate being an artist and that making art is the coolest job in the world. All of you are doing extraordinary stuff and each day I am astounded at the progress and growth of us artists. I’ll see you in the summer for more podcast shenanigans.

4 Likes

I miss the podcast, but hope your portfolio is going well.

1 Like