Steinar's Sketchbook

unreal
shaders
ue4
particles

Hello everybody! I’m a student studying 3D design, animation and game design at Noroff in Norway.
I recently discovered that I want to work professionally with real time VFX. My dream is to get a job as a junior artist at Beyond FX.
I’m currently half way through my 10 week exam project, working on making effects in UE4.

This is my progress so far on my project:

Most of these are still work in progress. Here are some fixes I will be making:

• The crow projectile, cuckoo bird attack, and the crystal attack need some tweaking on the timing on the animations.
  • The crow projectile is hard to see and need more contrast suronding the crow.
  • The cuckoo bird attack need fixing on some weird scaling.
  • I’m not sure about the blood effect on the rose attack.
  • Rose and fish needs textures.
  • Fire smoke should be darker.
  • The normal maps on the screen raindrop particles bearly seem to do anything. They may need a new normal map.
  • The underwater post process might need some fog.
  • The fish are not meant to be seen from under the water.
  • The auroras need a new texture and stronger vertex displacement animation. They also need their own separate mesh to not look too alike.
  • I’m not sure about the smoke sprites surrounding the nuke. It might be better to use meshes to make them feel like they belong together.

Hey @Steinar!

I really like the nuke, but I think it would feel nicer if you invert the alpha erosion. The smoke disappearing before the fire feels a bit off. The erosion feels a bit too harsh / cutout, as the nuke material is soft and cloudy.

Also, those green crystals look nice and they fit well with the red explosion, as their colors are complementary.

Great job!

Nuke update!

I can’t use translucent materials on meshes. When two meshes with translucent material overlap Unreal seem to get confused about which to render first, second, ect.

You can try a combination of a Masked material mode + Dithered Opacity (aka DitherTemporalAA node in the Material Editor). It allows to replace alpha-blended transparency with a 1-bit dithered mask, generated out of this alpha.