RyanB - VFX Sketchbook

A bunch of random stuff

This is a shader I made for UE4 to create Apollonian circles. Not sure what I will use this for, maybe a magic blast or something like that. No textures used, just math nodes. Built with nodes for portability, no custom node used.

3 Likes

Bunch more UE4 mathy shaders. Inspired by stuff on shadertoy generally. Building a library of these sort of things.

1 Like

A water effect made for Quest VR. I tend to do a lot of mesh based vfx on the Quest to avoid overdraw.

2 Likes

Started doing a lot more stuff in shaders with grids. Needed a solution to create a lot of detail with a single draw call. I can convert these dots into stars or textured things, whatever. Lots of uses.

A bigger example with connecting lines

2 Likes

Some procedural shapes made in UE4. There’s an issue with the polar coords I haven’t fixed yet. I’ll probably use it to warp from one shape to another in a spell or magic something or other. We’ll see.

2 Likes

I dabble in other engines in my spare time. For Pico-8, I make particles using an entitiy component system with pooling. The lead particle drops a single pixel trail behind it with a semi-random lifetime. I can assign a gradient to change the colour over lifetime. Everything written in Lua.

2 Likes

Some more examples of mesh-based vfx for mobile VR. Need to keep the overdraw low so can’t use a lot of overlapping particles. I make a lot of shaders to exploit packed channels, different blends, etc.

Explosions are mostly meshes with a few particles mixed in.

Purple laser thing I made for a VR project. I had to make the beam a flat quad for some reason, would have preferred to use a cylinder.

1 Like

Some vfx made for mobile VR, mostly using animated UVs with packed textures. A few particles mixed in.

1 Like

Made a material where I can spherify the UVs and add fake lighting. All of this can be mapped on a quad or plane. This cuts down on the poly count and lets me add more stuff. I can mix other mapping with the sphere UVs. Also added warping parameters. I plan to use this as a center element for magic and sci fi projectile vfx among other things.

5 Likes

Made some weird procedural polyp material. No idea what I would use this for but it can be adjusted into lots of dynamic cellular patterns.

1 Like

Made a streak material, will use it as a mask or for little bits shooting out, probably on radial UVs. Added warping so it can look like rain streaks.

3 Likes