Peters: Embergen Challenge

Thank you. If I understand correctly you can do this in many ways. In these two shots I posted I’m triggering explosion in Sequencer. I recommend watching some basic introduction into Sequencer. It’s very easy to create a track for Niagara/Cascade system and then load any component you want to activate.

I’m also pretty new to ue4 :slight_smile: there is no end with exploration new things, ideas and concepts.

1 Like

Very nice man, thanks for the answer. I just got into using the Quixel assets in Unreal, defo gonna try to generate a height field now too

I was struggling a bit with motion vectors, currently finally moving to work on all aspects of explosion :wink:
this is never going to be that slow :slight_smile:

edit: probably I will run another test with reduced flipbook frame range

2 Likes

BOOM!

3 Likes

Today I had some time to start working on additional elements like flying barrels and stones, for now just for timing. For next step I will focus on smoke trails and dust maybe even tiny shockwave element.

better quality:
https://youtu.be/jLjaB2YNDZI

5 Likes

Cut to slow mo. :wink:

You are the contender so far in my eyes mate, wicked stuff :smiley:

1 Like

Haha, thanks! Great idea to try with slow mo! :smiley:

Currently I was having some issues and still need to work on some issues but slowly I’m trying to get there. Probably this week I will rework on shader and then move to other elements.

Anyway I have so much fun working on it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Fixed few more issues, later I will start polishing additional elements.

https://youtu.be/UfFMrrDi7Fc

4 Likes

Today I had some time to fix issues in my project and block trail element.

12 Likes

Love what you’ve produced already - everything looks great to me, except I think some of the smoke should stick around longer. I always find fireworks smoke stays around at low density for quite some time, maybe settling to earth with yours would be a good end to the explosions. I just think the last half second of smoke vanishing is a bit game-like.

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile: Yes, definitely you are right. This is on my to-do list and I’m going to address this later. During upcoming weekend I will try to do a bigger update :slight_smile:

I’m back, still working and balancing things, tomorrow I will start rendering new explosions from EmberGen and replacing current ones with more variations.

11 Likes

This is looking great!

2 Likes

On the end I didn’t had time to finish this like I wanted but anyway I was way to busy at work then I thought :slight_smile: This challenge was awesome! This was my first time when I used Unreal to work on FX things and I had opportunity to work with Embergen! :slight_smile: Thanks everyone!

Final submission:

4 Likes

Awesome work, how did you do the Camera @peters ?

Here’s a quick reminder that this Challenge closes this evening! Don’t forget to submit your final video to JangaFX using this Form if you’ve yet!

For the full rules and instructions, visit our original post here:

1 Like

I used my mouse to record the camera motion and then I applied filter to remove some keys and simplify camera animation curve. Not perfect solution but works fine :slight_smile:

nice! I thought maybe you used your phone as a virtual camera or something :slight_smile:
works pretty well!

1 Like

Good job , those explosions look great !) A bit of a camera shake , dust and…it would make up a film-grade fx :slight_smile: :+1:
I wonder what’s the size of the flipbook(s) though)