Personal Progress FX - Chris Nordgren

I will be uploading the previous reworked effects soon
Another fast hit fx, gonna look into the electricity or fire next

2 Likes

Lightning strike! Looking forward to use these new shaders and lightning technique for other portfolio pieces!

Possibly fire next!

10 Likes

I would use white smoke and not dark one. White fits to electricity burn , and black smoke is more of fuel thick burn.
Im intrested how you made the lightning strike btw . Good overall job man :slight_smile:

I think the smoke puffs are suppose to be like “dust-clouds” in this “portfolio world”. But I agree with how you think about black smoke for fuelburn, I might test that for my fire-based pieces that has smoke!

The lightning is made in 3D models with a gradient texture, its based on how Klemen Lozar did in his riotVFX contest (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bCLq6p6OD0)

6 Likes

kaboom! fireball spells!

Might be pushing the “mobile”-specs here. But the fire particles could be reduced, and after its a portfolio piece

16 Likes

Lovely stuff man!

One thing… there’s times where the cards are almost perpincicular to the camera on this last one. Especially with those large vertical elements which catches my eye (drawing a line almost). I like how you did it in your second post. Perhaps aproach it like this again?:

https://realtimevfx.com/uploads/default/original/2X/5/57dad8ef7116846f0dce93d219cf9bd7939cafd3.gif

Keep it up dude!

1 Like

Yes I have configured some of those elements already, I really appreciate the feedback!
I will probably do a big update on the older fx soon enough! :slight_smile:

Made starwars inspired blue laser! Gonna do few of these just to see what is worth pursuing, learning so much when I just get to experiment like this.

8 Likes

Wow cool, great stuff man!

your Work looks amazing. Keep up your good work. :smiley:

Really digging your style, especially your lightning and fire pieces! This is really inspiring. :smiley:

Did you make the hit points with sub particles ? Or you had any other approach ?

Good job bro.

Looking cool, I’d say add a big soft blue glow on the impact area.
And try making the smoke brighter and fade to the current tone to represent the flash of light fading.

@Dom, @difra, @Sirhaian
wow, I am very grateful for the support!

I will be a little busy in the coming days, but hopefully I will be able to finish these portfolio pieces into something spectacular.

@Ohadgfx
No, I use scripting that spawns particle system when the fireballs etc hits walls! :slight_smile:

@Doggett
I will look into this!
About the smoke fx:
I like when the smoke effect blends in together with itself when they have the same color. Currently I have such hard edges on the dust texture so if I change color it is noticeable to see the particles and it looks bad, I change color in the beginning but turn them fast to the current tone for this reason.

I would be able to have the effect you speak of if the dust have the same lifetime, but that will make the smoke look weird.
I think I could animate the Start Color using a animator component! (or using another particle system pluggin, but thats a lot of hassle). Thanks for your feedback! I will try using the animator component and see what happens :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Chris,

I have found you already some month ago over your nice game Last Invader. It´s always my short game if I need a break from work, it so simple but makes so fun. First thanks for this. ^^

Now I have also seen your new stylized FX´s here I love them so much. Great stuff man and I happy to see every time new work from you, your work is really inspiring me.

Thank you Anton!

I find it amazing that you play(ey) Last Invader. I was gonna make a Last Invader 2. I got quite far but then … life!

Really cool to hear that you enjoy my effects! I must make sure to post some artwork asap.
Still in the testing zone when it comes to this foliopiece

Here is a beam effect! currently not fit to change the distance, but could be easily fixed with some scripts!

There are so many ideas spawning in my head but I should probably wrap this up, very soon

13 Likes

I’ve a basic explosion for a indie game called Black Future. More thing will probably come up!

Its got this pixelart with a bunch of postprocess effects artstyle going!

Currently the owner wanted the effect asap so it was a little rushed.
I know there are things I would to improve with that explosion but I would still like to hear what anyone thinks on what could be improved without knowing my thoughts :slight_smile:

7 Likes

:

(edited for bigger gif)
(here is another with less weird artifacts: Fire bombs)
A upgraded version of the first explosion. Now with classic zelda blue bombs! :smiley:

I have been thinking about having a character throwing them to showcase more animation skills. I will see if this will be relevant, I want to show that I have a wide skillset but I really want to focus on the FX part mostly :slight_smile

20 Likes

You are making my pinterest so happy. :smiley:

1 Like

man that looks so good. i dont have the right words in english.
Chris is it possible that you share some of your workflow with us?