Maya Particles, using particle system attributes in hypershade(Solved)

Hi guys, this probably isn’t related to RTVFX, I can remove the thread if it’s not allowed, but I’m wondering if anybody familiar with maya’s particle system/hypershade can help me out.

I’m basically trying to shade particles in maya based on per particle velocity, I’m trying to figure out how I can pass the particle’s velocity as primVar into hypershade to use as color, anybody have any clues as to how I can do this? I’m using renderman for the final render.

It’s been a little too long for me to remember off hand (I’ll try to look this up when I’m in front of Maya) but there is an additional node you need to add to your shaders that the per particle data is passed through. I want to say it’s called “particleData” or “particleSampler” but I’ll have to check. Sorry I can’t be more specific at the moment

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I found the particlesampler node you mentioned, i tried just using the velocity output for the color, but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I’ll try playing around with it some more. Thanks!

There’s an example for this in the docs.

1 Like

Thanks, I found that after keith mentioned the particle sampler node.