Hovl: Sketch #16 WIP

Hi, no problem, the shield itself consists of several quads with these textures. image
This mesh I used for trails: image
And the trails are made using a repeating texture that moves with help of the shader.

3 Likes

This is lovely, the only thing I’d like to see is a slight distortion on the final ring of symbols. Like the center is very hot and you get a bit of heat distortion right at the edge of the symbols, just enough to add a bit of movement. The reason is that you have three distinct sets of symbols and two of them are moving but the third is completely static. Having a slight distortion would add the necessary movement to a static element and also add a nice gradient of motion; center is spinning fast, second ring is slightly different speed and the third element would be slowest since it’s farthest from the center. I LOVE the wispy smoke-like things you have.

One more thing: Your first effect with the spinning cards. Did you ever try having the cards dissolve into dots and float upwards? You have a lot of energy and movement moving upwards in the rest of the effect and having the cards dissolve and float up could work well with the rest of the movements. If you could somehow add a slightly different timing to the cards then that would add a lot too since they are all moving as one at the moment. Regardless, it’s a really nice effect though.

Hi, thanks for the reply. It’s hard to believe, but the circles rotate with different speeds: -140 and 90. This combination of speeds gives a certain smoothness what I need. I also listened to your advice and added distortion at the ends of the texture. You may ask: why exactly in the end? Because the shield is able to repel any magic in front and in this place it must be monolithic.
https://giphy.com/gifs/1o1l58OwHVl9NSB6CR/html5
https://giphy.com/gifs/fnQ5Qgyqelm8C1bFmC/html5
And the first effect I don’t want to change anymore. I’m lazy :yum: Probably, I’ll remove it from the first post.

8 Likes

Nice! Yeah I can see that they rotate at different speeds, that’s what I said in the post :slight_smile: It was just that the final ring/third element didn’t have any movement at all that made it stand out. I like the distortion, it’s pretty much exactly as I saw it in my head; just the far end moving a bit :slight_smile: I hope you like it too!

Hi, I uploaded these effects to the Asset Store. Surprisingly, the submission took 1 day.

1 Like

I really like the magic circle shield, nice idea with the cards rotating around. :slight_smile: