Vector Field Authoring

I remember that there have been a few different posts about vector fields.
What would be awesome is if we could consolidate methods, tools, and resources for authoring.
I can’t find the post with the python field generator.
This thread is only as alive as people who add to it…so push whatever links you got!

Unreal:

Unity:

Jangafx: Not sure how long the presented links will be up.

Experiment:

Download:

2 Likes

Thanks for linking my website and thread!

Here’s our dev blog from last week. The odd window movement & rotation was fixed this morning. :slight_smile:

We’re doing a pre-sale launch for beta access on April 15th & you can get 20% off for life. And doing our full Version 1 launch on May 15th.

1 Like

Some great examples shown. Another thing I’d be interested in is how you’re all making them tile perfectly for situations that require that. I’ve been using Python on my end for that, and the results have been nice (especially worley noise), but it must be solveable in Houdini as well but I’m still relatively new to that software.

Sure! Depending on how you created it of course.

If you went down the Scatter points in cube volume, add velocities to points, then convert to field route; You could simply place copies of the cube on all sides of the one you want to Tilify. Then do an rangebased attributetransfer of the velocity from the side cubes to the center cube. Instant tiling. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For some reason I have it stuck in my head that there’s a tiling flag somewhere.

There are several noises that tile. I was simply describing how I tend to create FGAs and how to extend that to tile.
Or did you mean the tiling tickbox in Unreal?

1 Like

I meant that I thought that, in unreal, there was a flag (tick box), that would make .fga’s tile in world space. I could be off my rocker.

Yeah, it does. Though it doesn’t modifythe acutal field. It just “places” them next to eachother. Depending on what your field looks like, there can be breaks in between. If your edgevelocities are facing in opposite directions the particles will stop/turn around instead of continuing on as you would expect if it tiled perfectly.

1 Like

It occurs to me that we have reached an evolutionary epoch in our art. Now, we don’t just need 2d textures to tile, but we need 3d textures to tile. And unlike 3d noise which we always knew had to tile; and could tile mathematically. We now must make 3d authoring tools that see beyond a surface and sculpt the entire space…and then tile them as well.

I was just thinking yesterday that some particle flows could be compressed into a 2d texture and still have 3d aspects.
You could normalize the RG as a vector.
Let the velocity/over life be scaled.
Use B to paint Z participation or weighting.
Use alpha to indicate radial vector.

You’d lose a lot of features of natural 3d textures, but you get back a fair amount of memory…and except for the crossover from 1 to 0 in radial direction…it’s all lerped by the card.

Hehe, it’s been done :wink:

1 Like

I’m going to quote a song a friend wrote.
“It’s not real unless it happens to you.”

Crosspost.
I found this Vector Field Creator Plugin for Blender which looks fine.I just did a little tutorial about it.

1 Like