Andre Ferraz: Sketch #8

Hi everyone! :smiley:

This is my first post here in RTVFX.

As a very beginner FX student, I will try to replicate that Warp Zone Effect (don’t know if this is exactly the name for it). from the 1996’s Crash Bandicoot. Video below.

Crash Bandicoot (1996) - Warp Zone Effect:

2 Likes

This it the current progress.

The hard part until now was to recreate the textues to look close to the originals.

I had to limit the FPS to 30 frames for the “folds” to appear.

The next step is to make the vanish effect (when Crash jumps on the portal and it teleports him).

2 Likes

to better mimic the interior glow add some more noticeable asymmetry/texture and rotation particles
could emit from a cone with the speed pulling them in slightly… like

2 Likes

Nice, good idea.
I’ll try to do that.

The current interior glow is really poor since I was trying to achieve the same approach as the original, but with no such success haha.

I just didn’t got the idea for the cone. Why emit from a cone? (Sorry for the noob question)

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

it looks like some particles gather, so in unity the cone lets you easily gather towards a point using negative speed.

1 Like

To get a better cylindrical shape, maybe try the cylinder/scrolling uvs trick? Shannon McSheehan - LoL FX + Knowledge Share - #64 by ShannonBerke?

1 Like

Man, see this trick just opened my mind for a lot of stuff haha. Thnks
But, did you think of that for the internal glow or the rotating “sparks” around?

This is the final result. :slight_smile:

I changed the internal glow, inspired by the tip from @Torbach.
And added some “embers”, and the leaving animation, based on the original.

2 Likes